Student Union of University of Tampere


Academic affairs

Tästä löydät kaikki sivut, jotka on merkitty Koulutuspolitiikka-tägillä.

Tamy seuraa viikottain ajankohtaisia koulutuspoliittisia uutisia, tässä osa niistä koottuna:

Maksuttomat opinnot ovat kannattava sijoitus

Ei lukukausimaksuehdotukselle!

Nominate a candidate for the Good Teacher 2014 award!

Tamy is once again looking for a recipient of the annual Good Teacher award.

The University of Tampere Foundation rewards the Good Teacher of the year with fame, glory and money in the annual graduation event.

The award is particularly significant to teachers because students nominate the candidates. The purpose of the distinguished award is to give positive feedback, pay attention to the importance of teaching and carry on discussion about teaching.


Tamy seuraa viikottain ajankohtaisia koulutuspoliittisia uutisia, tässä osa niistä koottuna:


On this page you'll find an overview of students' rights.


The following list is not all-inclusive but it gives you a brief overview of the basic and practical rights that the University of Tampere is obligated to offer their students. The list is a tool for constructive dialogue between students and the university staff. If you want to stand up for your rights, the best results are often gained by engaging in a dialogue and validating your own perspective, as well as being open to opposing arguments.


This list will be expanded over time, and if you would like to contribute, you can send additions regarding legislative matters or university rules via email to Tamy's Secretary for Academic Affairs and Secretary for Social Welfare Affairs. The secretaries are also there to help students hold on to their rights. Don’t hesitate to contact us!


The university community consists of three parties: teaching and research staff, other staff, and students. Each party has individual rights but also responsibilities in relation to other members of the community, helping the university to become the best possible place to carry out the university’s mission, which is "to promote free research and academic and artistic education, to provide higher education based on research, and to educate students to serve their country and humanity. In carrying out their mission, the universities must promote lifelong learning, interact with the surrounding society and promote the impact of research findings and artistic activities on society." (Universities Act, Section 2.)

You can read more about the principles and obligations of a good university community here.


A short list of what you are entitled to as a student:

1) Receive guidance counselling
2) Flexible studying
3) Accessible studying
4) Receive results on coursework within three weeks
5) Receive rectification on the assessment of coursework or thesis
6) Receive feedback on an exam, essay or other coursework
7) Retake an exam
8) Receive financial aid
9) Take sick leave and have access to public health care
10) Study without being subjected to discrimination or harassment
11) Regain the right to study and prove suitability to a chosen field of study
12) Receive credits for positions of trust
13) Be represented in study-related working groups


As a student, you are entitled to:

1) Receive guidance counselling.
(Universities Act, section 40)

As a student, you have a right to receive guidance counselling and the university is obligated to provide it.


For a student, it is extremely important to receive guidance counselling to be able to choose the most suitable and interesting optional subjects from the university’s wide selection. Good education includes counselling, but each student should take time for planning and reviewing their study programme, finding out where their interests lie and discussing those interests with a professional. Receiving guidance counselling is a primary concern for a smooth progress of studies and maintaining motivation. Professional guidance counselling cannot be replaced with peer counselling, which should always only be supplemental to professional guidance counselling. Optional subjects help the student profile their own skills and market themselves to the ideal employer.


Students are also entitled to proper thesis counselling. If the person responsible for the counselling seems uninterested e.g. because they are not an expert on the thesis subject, the student is entitled to receive proper counselling from someone else. Systematic guidance counselling is an important part of planning your personal curriculum, which is in no way binding but extremely useful.


2) Flexible studying.
(UTA Regulations of Degrees, section 16, section 23-24, Universities Act, section 41, 42, 44)


The University has to arrange its curricula flexibly, so that students can graduate within the specified time frame. The time frames vary between different programmes. Of course, you can apply for extension to finish your degree. At the moment, the minimum extension time is half a year, with the maximum being two years.


Curricula include many different methods of completing courses, and student can complete courses in all the methods that are mentioned. The latest of these flexible methods is taking electronic exams. In addition, you also have a right to take courses during the summer term.


Furthermore, you can credit some of your previous courses to your current degree, if you can prove that the previous courses were similar in quality and content. It is possible that a student has to do a few compensatory exercises in order to receive full course credit. A student can receive course credit also by demonstrating his/her expertise in other ways.


3) Accessible studying. (The Constitution of Finland, section 6, Non-Discrimination Act, section 5, Universities Act, section 37 aUTA's Regulations on the Assessment of Studies, section 38, Disability Services Act, section 8 c)

Students have a right to complete their studies unimpeded and receive assessments of their own coursework in proportion to their impediments.


Equality is one of the basic human rights written in the Constitution of Finland. This also applies to unimpeded studying. No one can be put in an unequal position because of an illness, disability or any other reason pertaining to the person in question. All students must be guaranteed equal opportunity to their studies. The Non-Discrimination Act also covers education and forbids discrimination in receiving education. In addition, the education provider has to, if need be, take measures in assuring a disabled person’s access to education and progression in their career.


If a student has an impediment and has a proven limitation like sensory impairments, dyslexia or panic disorder, they can qualify for special assessment practices and alternative ways of completing courses, provided they inform of their impediment in advance. The municipality provides seriously disabled people with personal assistants, should they need it. You can find more information on the University's accessibility here and on Tamy's accessibility page.

4) Receive results on coursework within three weeks.
(UTA's Regulations on the Assessment of Studies, section 29, UTA Regulations on Degrees, section 26-28, UTA Guidelines, section 13, section 16)


Assessing an exam or other coursework can take a maximum of three weeks. If the maximum time is exceeded, the student has a right to demand a grade for their coursework. Usually exam results show up on time, and if the assessment time is exceeded, it’s usually due to a human factor, like an illness. The three week assessment period is also valid with electronic exams. Coursework done during the summer has a longer assessment period.


5) Receive rectification on the assessment of coursework or thesis. (Universities Act, section 82, UTA Guidelines, section 16, UTA Regulations on Degrees, section 26-28)


If a student is dissatisfied with the grade received from coursework, he/she has a right to appeal to the instructor who graded the course or to the person who decided on the number of credits to be transferred. An appeal against a grade received for a course must be lodged within 14 days of the date the student has access to the grade. A student can appeal in writing to the administrator of his/her School of study. If the student expresses his/her dissatisfaction with the decision on the request for rectification in aforementioned coursework or thesis included in intermediate studies, he/she can appeal to the University of Tampere’s Appeals Committee.

A student dissatisfied with the assessment and grade received from coursework in advanced studies can appeal in writing to the Board of Directors of his/her School of study. An appeal against a grade received for an advance studies course must be lodged within 14 days of the date the student has access to the grade.

When looking to appeal on coursework, you should first contact the Head of Student Affairs, who will be able to advise you in the appeal process. If the Board of Directors of your School of study will deem it necessary, they will name a third assessor for your coursework, whose assessment will be decisive. The University of Tampere’s Appeals Committee cannot reassess advanced studies coursework that has already gone through the appeal process.

6) Receive feedback on an exam, essay or other coursework.  (UTA's Regulations on the Assessment of Studies, section 2, section 27)


’Even studies assessment is a learning situation.’


This sentence is rarely remembered after coursework is completed. For a student to learn, it is extremely important to receive feedback of their coursework. A grade is not enough, so to guarantee learning it would be good to go over all the work done during a course. Written or oral feedback of coursework gives a student a more comprehensive picture of what areas he/she might need to work on. In addition, a student can request for a copy of their exam answers from the teacher responsible for the course up until six months from receiving the exam results. Students are entitled to information about the application of assessment criteria regarding their coursework, and have a right to know the basis for their assessment.

7) Retake an exam. (UTA's Regulations on the Assessment of Studies, section 11-13)


A student has the right to retake an exam.


A teacher must give a student a change to retake a failed exam at least once, or if they want, try for a higher grade for an already passed exam. The new exam must be taken within reasonable amount of time from the date the student has access to the grade, and the retake exam time should be known to the students well ahead of time. While the Regulations on the Assessment of Studies doesn’t explicitly state it, this should be obvious when organizing a retake exam: the retake exam should be timed so that there is enough time to prepare for the new exam between the announcement of the grades and the retake exam time.


A thesis that has been examined and approved cannot be retaken. If a student completes the same course unit more than once, the highest grade and/or higher workload prevails.

8) Receive financial aid. (The Constitution of Finland, section 19, Income Support Law, section 2, chapter 2-3)


A student’s primary income is the student grant, which consists of three parts: study grant, housing benefit and government guaranteed student loan.


A student is also entitled to financial aid when their income isn’t enough to cover necessary expenses. If your necessary expenses exceed your income, you are entitled to financial aid.


Financial aid is a last resort aid provided by the social services that aims to assure necessary livelihood. Because it is a last resort aid, all income is primary compared to financial aid. All realisable property is perceived as income when you are applying for financial aid (for example bonds, shares, and savings).


At the moment, that basic amount of financial aid for a person living alone is 444.26 EUR. The basic amount should cover necessary daily expenses, such as food. Other expenses taken into account are necessary daily expenses like a reasonable rent, electricity bill, public health care expenses, and prescription medication bills. Unfortunately, the Finnish Student Health Service (YTHS) fees aren’t taken into account with financial aid. Students loans are part of the student grant, and a government guaranteed loan will be counted as income for students regardless of whether the student has actually taken a loan or not. Taking a loan is not required, because the share of the loan will be counted as part of the monthly income automatically. The loan share won't be taken into account if the student, for example due to poor credit history, isn't eligible for a government guaranteed loan.

Students are equally entitled to financial aid, if the terms for granting the financial aid are fulfilled! Applying for financial aid is never a bad idea, even if you are not sure if you're entitled to it. The decisions are made based on the information written in the application form, so remember to include all the necessary documents, like receipts for health care fees or loss of credit.


9) Take sick leave and have access to public health care. (Health Care Act, section 17, Health Insurance Act, chapter 8)


The primary health care for students is through Finnish Student Health Service (YTHS), which specialises in student health care. However, all YTHS offices are closed in July, during evenings and weekends. During these times a student should contact municipal health care services, which are on call during summer as well. Students are entitled to use the municipal health care services of their place of study regardless of their place of domicile. Postgraduate students are not entitled to student health care.


A student should not study on the expense of his/her health. Students are entitled to sick leave and consequently entitled to sickness benefit. Sickness benefit is paid after a 10 working day waiting period from the start of the sick leave. Despite the waiting period, applying for sickness benefit is worth the trouble, if you are suffering from a long-term illness that hinders your studies. By switching to being sick on sickness benefit you can save your study grant months and avoid getting your study progress monitored due to lack of credits. The amount of the sickness benefit depends on the income or other benefits you received before the sick leave.


10) Study without being subjected to discrimination or harassment. (The Constitution of Finland, section 7, The Act on Equality Between Women and Men, section 5-8, section 10-12, Non-Discrimination Act, section 6)

According to the Constitution of Finland: 'Nobody may be discriminated against on the basis of gender, age, ethnic or national origin, nationality, language, religion, belief, opinion, health, disability, sexual orientation or other personal characteristics.' Everyone should respect other people's right to be who they are without direct or indirect discrimination, like intentionally ignoring them.


The Non-Discrimination Act gives a more detailed definition of discrimination. The treatment of a person less favourably than the way another person is treated, has been treated or would be treated in a comparable situation (direct discrimination), an apparently neutral provision, criterion or practice that puts a person at a particular disadvantage compared with other persons (indirect discrimination) as well as an instruction or order to discriminate are all counted as discrimination. In addition, according to law harassment is a form of discrimination.


According to law, sexual harassment denotes to verbal, non-verbal, physical, unwanted sexual behaviour, that deliberately or actually aims to violate a person's mental or physical integrity, in particular by creating a threatening, hostile, demeaning, degrading or oppressive atmosphere. Gender-based harassment refers to unwanted behaviour that is based on the gender but not sexual in nature that aims to deliberately and actually to violate a person's mental or physical integrity and aims to create a threatening, hostile, demeaning, degrading or opressive atmosphere. Harassment is not easy to define unambiguously, but trusting your own instincts is always a good idea. If another person’s behaviour feels like harassment, it is harassment.

If you feel you have been harassed by another student, professor or another member of university staff, you can contact, in private, Tamy's anti-harassment contact persons, who can help you with any harassment situation. Read more about recognising the signs of harassment here.


11) Regain the right to study and prove suitability to a chosen field of study. (Universities Act, section 37 a-b, section 43 a-d, section 45, section 45 a, Students' Legal Protection Board Act, section 1-14)

The University Board has to guarantee a student the right to be heard, if his/her right to study is going to be revoked. In addition, the board has to write a report on the student's situation before the board can make a decision.

A student can lose their right to study, if, for example, he/she hasn't registered as present/absent at the beginning of the term, or if he/she hasn't completed studies on time, or if he/she hasn't completed studies after getting an extension to finish a degree. A student can apply for his/her right to study to be reinstated by contacting the Student Services or, depending on the situation, the Dean of the School by using this form on the University website. The website also contains additional information on regaining a right to study.


If a student has lost his/her right to study due to unsuitability to their chosen field, he/she can ask for a revision by proving that the reason for losing right to study no longer exists. The student must provide the university with statements pertaining to their health. The University Board decides whether a student's right to study should be reinstated.


If there is any doubt that a student isn't suited for his/her chosen field, the University is obligated to work out, together with the student, their chances of applying for different education. Upon the student's permission, the student can be transferred to study another field within the university, whose conditions for becoming a student the student in question fulfils.


A student can apply for revision for the loss of right to study or on the decision reinstating that right within 14 days of receiving said decision from the Students' Legal Protection Board.


If your suitability to your chosen field of study is suspected, contact immediately and directly Tamy's Secretary for Academic Affairs.


12) Receive credits for positions of trust. (Rector's Decision D1317/301.06/2011)


You can receive a maximum of 10 credits for your positions of trust within the University or the Student Union, in exchange for a report. Instructions for writing the report can be found in the curriculum of each degree programme. The credits can be accepted through substitution or inclusion within a year after the time spent in a position of trust has ended.

For more information, ask the Head of Study Affairs of your school.

Examples of tasks you may receive credits from (3 credits per list item):

a) At least one academic year in a multi-member organ of the University (University Collegiate Body, University Board, Board of Appeals and the Management Boards of schools) defined in the Universities Act or the University’s rules of procedure.

b) At least one academic year in an advisory council of an independent institute, the University’s Student Financial Aid Board, or a curriculum working group of a school or a degree programme

c) At least one academic year in the board of a student association

d) At least one academic year in a position of trust within the Student Union (as a member of the Council of Representatives or the Executive Board, or as a chair of a section or a committee)


13) Be represented in study-related working groups. (Rector's Decision D/1059/301.06/2013)


Students have the right to nominate representatives for themselves in study-related working groups. This enables the students to participate in preparation and decision phases of decision-making.

A preparatory working group working within a school is to request student representation from a student association or a school association. A preparatory working group with relevance to the entire University is to request student representation from the Student Union.

Student representatives must be called to participate in the working group immediately after its establishment, and the convener of the working group must brief appropriately.



For more information on students' rights, please contact:

If you need more information on Social welfare, accessibility, health ja discrinimation matters, contact Tamy's Secretary for Social Welfare Affairs, Olga Haapa-aho.

Contact information:, TEL: +358 50 3612 846

If you need more information on academic matters, contact Tamy's Secretary for Academic Affairs, Joachim Kratochvil.

Contact information:, TEL: +358 50 3612 847


Joining Tamy and acquiring a student card
How does a post-graduate student card differ from a basic degree student's?
Services and benefits for post-graduate students
Post-graduate students and Tamy

Post-graduate degree students at the University of Tampere can join the Student Union on a voluntary basis, unlike basic degree students. In any case, Tamy actively supervises and promotes the interests of post-graduate students as well.

Joining Tamy and acquiring a student card

You can become a Tamy member by paying the membership fee as you enrol for the term. You can also pay the fee later on, after the enrolment period has ended (usually by 31 August).

However, be sure to use your personal reference number while paying the membership fee. The reference number is visible in the bank transfer slip which was sent to you in May, and in case you have lost it, you can find the information on NettiOpsu in the “Enrolment” section during the enrolment period. The Registrar's Office (aktuaarinkanslia) can also help you locate your reference number.

The membership fee for post-graduate students is EUR 48 in the academic year 2014-2015. You can fill in the student card application form while paying the fee. Submit your application either to the Tamy Services office or the Registrar's Office. Card manufacturers receive card requisitions every Monday in the autumn term, later twice a month. The cards are generally delivered in two weeks and can be collected at the Tamy Services office.

The card costs EUR 10 and must be paid in cash, as credit cards are not accepted at the Services office. Likewise, you must present an identification card (with a photo) while collecting your student card.

How does a post-graduate student card differ from a basic degree student's?

Post-graduate student's green card differs from a degree student's blue card in many ways. You should remain aware of the following while making the transition from basic degree studies to a post-graduate degree programme:

  • Post-graduate student's green card does not contain a chip, so it cannot be used as an electronic key card to computer rooms or Atalpa sports facilities. A post-graduate student may collect a separate key card at the customer service point in the Computer Centre for a cash deposit of EUR 20.
  • Post-graduate students have access to Unipoli Sport's services for the same price as basic degree students. However, the payment cannot be charged on the post-graduate student card but rather on a deposit card you can get from Atalpa.

  • Post-graduate students do not have access to the services of the Student Health Care Service (YTHS). This is the reason why their membership fee is considerably lower than that of a basic degree student's.

  • Post-graduate student card does not entitle you to discounts on train or bus travel (VR and Matkahuolto) or to Kela's meal subsidy.

Services and benefits for post-graduate students

As a post-graduate student you are entitled to same services provided by the Student Union as basic degree students are. More information on Tamy's services can be found in the Services section of this page.

Although post-graduate students are not entitled to student meal discounts, Juvenes restaurants offer post-graduate students the opportunity to purchase relatively affordable lunches.

Furthermore, a post-graduate student card largely entitles you to same benefits as a basic degree student's card does. There's an extensive list of such benefits on the webpage of Opiskelijan Tampere.

Post-graduate students and Tamy

For more information on post-graduate student affairs, please contact the Secretary for Academic Affairs and the Executive Board member responsible for academic affairs.

Yliopiston juhlasali. Kuva: Touko Hujanen

It's springtime, and Tamy is yet again looking for a recipient of the annual Good Teacher award. The University of Tampere Foundation rewards the Good Teacher of the year with fame, glory and money in the annual graduation event. The award is particularly significant to teachers because students nominate the candidates. The purpose of the distinguished award is to give positive feedback, pay attention to the importance of teaching and carry on discussion about teaching.

A new Secretary for Academic Affairs, Joachim Kratochvil, has started work in Tamy. The previous secretaries, Johanna Roihuvuo, have proceeded towards new challenges after having served UTA students for a long time.

Joachim is a 29-year-old Political Science student and a devoted Kate Bush fan. Prior to coming to Tampere, he has been supervising students' interests in the Student Union of the University of Jyväskylä.

Essential to the smooth progress of your studies is your study ability, i.e. how personal resources, study skills, study environment and teaching and guidance promote your studies. Essentially, study ability is a student's work ability. Your study ability influences your learning results, study success and well-being. The good news is that you can do a lot to improve your study ability! Some factors related to study ability might be difficult to change if you're fighting for them alone, but together with your student association, Student Union or the staff of your school, you can even change matters that touch all students.

1. Personal resources

Personal resources include your personality, situation in life, social relations, physical and mental health and habits related to health. Moreover, social support, life management and a sense of your resources and abilities being enough are important factors in study ability.

2. Study environment

Study environment encompasses your physical, mental and social environment. Your physical environment is made up of different study environments and study conditions, such as recreation rooms and the organization of studies. Your mental and social environment include e.g. interaction between the staff and students, study atmosphere and study communities. Peer activities also play a central part in study ability.

3. Study skills

Study skills are a student's professional skills and correspond to a worker's expertise. Study skills include e.g. computer skills, problem solving skills, learning styles and strategies, critical thinking skills, social skills and the significance you place on your studies. Other important study skills include planning skills and time management.

4. Teaching and guidance

Receiving competent teaching and guidance is a crucial factor in study ability. Teaching and guidance include e.g. interaction between the student and teacher and receiving and giving feedback. Also central to teaching and guidance is how students are connected with the study community.

Campus Conexus II

Campus Conexus -hankkeen logo.Tamy participates in the Campus Conexus II project, whose purpose is to promote the engagement of students to their studies, communality and study ability holistically. The project is financed by the European Social Fund and it is carried out in 2011–2013.



An amendment to the Student Union's Rules turned Tamy's sections into committees in autumn 2011. Exception proves the rule, however, and Culture Section remains a section. Sections were mainly replaced with corresponding committees, but some new committees were also set up; the Committee for Academic Affairs is one of these. The function of the committees is to act as discussion forums and drafting bodies in the Student Union.

The purpose of the Committee for Academic Affairs is to follow and influence both national and local general educational politics, draft and/or comment on items concerning educational politics handled by the Executive Board, arrange briefings and discussions on current academic affairs (e.g. student forums), make motions and take stands on matters in academic affairs and attend to any other duties determined by the Executive Board.

The Committee for Academic Affairs operates mainly in Finnish.

For more information about the Committee for Academic Affairs, please contact the Secretary for Academic Affairs.

The duties of the Secretary for Academic Affairs include knowing the legal institution that concerns students – all the way from course waiting list rules and local standing statutes to the Universities Act, Administrative Procedure Act and the Constitution of Finland. Student associations, student representatives and all individual students are welcome to contact the Student Union's Secretary for Academic Affairs if they should need advice on academic affairs or legal protection.

Your problem can concern e.g.:

  • supervision of your Master's thesis
  • study arrangements in your department
  • administrative decisions
  • standing statutes
  • assessment of theses, exams or other works
  • advancing initiatives
  • interpreting laws and orders.

The Student Union's Secretary for Academic Affairs can help you with e.g.:

  • acquiring more information
  • interpreting statutes
  • preparing requests for rectification
  • offering information about different scopes of action
  • acting on the administrative level to solve your problem.

If you encounter any problems, please don't hesitate to contact the Secretary for Academic Affairs by email, phone or visiting the office!